The earliest written record of
the name Spannocchia refers to the donation of a piece of land by Zacaria dei Spannocchi in 1255 to the monks of the nearby
of Santa Lucia at Rosia
in exchange for protection of the soul of his mother, Donna Altigrada. The remains of this monastery as well as of the
mediaeval fortress of Castiglione che Dio Sol Sa (The Castle that Only God Knows) and of the romanesque bridge of
Ponte Della Pia
still to be seen in the area around Spannocchia.
Castello di Spannocchia
Although written records of the estate are very limited, it is known that the Spannocchi family were residents on the property by the early 1200ís. It is believed that the Spannocchi were part of one of the great feudal clans that, along with the church, controlled most of the countryside of Tuscany during the
mediaeval period. Members of the family continued to be active in the life of Siena into the 1800ís, but during that century their fortunes declined until one of the last remaining members of the family sold the property to Delfino Cinelli in 1925.
Cinelli, a Florentine aristocrat and writer, bought the property both as an investment and for its value to him as a tranquil place to pursue his writing.
Back to Sovicille.
Sovicille © ammonet InfoTech 2005 - 2020 All rights reserved.